Today, Spotify and Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) will launch an exclusive music experience, making it easier than ever for gamers to enjoy their favorite tracks whilst playing their favorite games.
That’s right, the best in music is playing co-op with the best in gaming. So whether you’re diving off Parisian rooftops, battling the evil of Crota or playing Barcelona at the Camp Nou, you’re in charge of the soundtrack.
Soundtrack your game
- With background listening on your PlayStation®4 (PS4™ system), you can soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favorite tracks (not available on PlayStation™Now or using Remote Play). You might die a few times at the hands (or claws) of memorably terrifying monsters in the critically-acclaimed action RPG Bloodborne™, so why not do it to the music of your choice? Upbeat pop, thumping hip-hop, soothing classical…with over 30 million tracks, we’ve got you covered either way.
- Enjoy all your favorite tunes on-demand. Pick one of your favorites from Your Music or Browse to find the perfect playlist for every mood and moment. We’ve even got a set of new gaming playlists for you.
No need to pause
- Spotify Connect* lets you skip tracks or turn up the music using your mobile device or tablet, without ever having to interrupt your gaming experience.
We know music has always been a big part of gaming and are excited to take the experience to a whole new level. With today’s launch, we’re bringing back that magic of gaming with music – all in a beautifully designed and smooth experience that looks great on your big screen.
We have worked closely with Sony Network Entertainment to build an entirely new music experience which doesn’t just sound awesome, but also looks great on your TV and handles smoothly using the DUALSHOCK® wireless controller. On your PS4™ system, simply hit the PS button to access Spotify from the main menu, or hold it down to enter the quick menu, letting you pause, skip, and turn up the volume whilst playing select games – without ever missing a beat.
Spotify on PlayStation™ Music will roll out to your PS43™ and PS43™ systems console today and will also be available on Xperia™** smartphones and tablets.
Ready to play? Get started at www.spotify.com/playstation.
* Spotify Free and Premium users can use Spotify Connect to control the Spotify app on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 using Android devices 2.4.0 and later and iOS devices 2.7.0 and later.
** Download or update the Spotify app using Google Play.
What do you get when Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell team up as one of the most badass duos to date? Well, we’ll let the guys do the talking. After we sat down with Mr. Hart and Mr. Ferrell to help us peer into the mind of these tougher-than-nails characters the comedy Get Hard, slated to hit theaters on March 27th, made perfect sense. We wanted to peel back the layers to see what music soundtracks the moments to James King’s (Ferrell) and Darnell Lewis’ (Hart) lives. A simple question that could help us uncover who James King, “a Harvard Elitist”, really is. Frederic Chopin kicked off the playlist, a classic choice, but the playlist of tracks runs the gamut. Selections that range from “Chopin to Katy Perry. [But] That’s James King for you”. What about Darnell? The “fraud” who needs to pick songs that “promote [his] fraud-ness and make him appear tougher than he is.” His violent, tough choices can all be found here on Darnell’s playlist. The two of these characters teaching James how to survive on the inside helps us understand just how many laughs we’re expected to see. The men behind the frauds? Kevin Hart had a personal pick that made a whole lot of sense.
I pick Eye of The Tiger. I feel like in my life I’ve never had the Eye of The Tiger, you know, by doing this movie there was a fierce look in my Eye of The Tiger. You know what I’m talking about!
When I showed up every morning I got to workin’… there’s a look I give that’s reminiscent of a tiger!
Will quickly substantiated this claim with his own view.
You’d arrive at the set with a gigantic speaker on top of his SUV just blasting Eye of the Tiger. It sent a message to the cast and crew.
That like, look, first of all I’m Kevin Hart, in fact he edited his own name. And where it was just like “Kevin Hart’s” got the Eye of the Tiger… I mean it was just crudely edited but it let everyone know he was ready to come to work!
That wasn’t all though. Music to soundtrack the movie filming is one thing, but what about the first mixtape that you ever made?
[Kevin] Mine was definitely a love mix, I was 8, 8 years old. Salt-N-Pepa ‘Push It’ is what led it off. I wanted this girl bad. It went from Salt-N-Pepa ‘Push it’ to ‘Can you Stand the Rain’. Yeah, weird memory. I remember the tape kept getting messed up so I had to wind it up a little with my finger. True story. I was quite the romantic.
Even though Will couldn’t bring up the exact memory of making a mixtape he did have an absolute blast immersing himself into this role.
Anytime you get to play a fish out of water, which I think is what’s unique about the movie, is that we’re both fish out of water. He’s trying to act like a guy who’s been in prison and then I’m trying to adopt what I think is the way to act tough and indoctrinate myself in.
Though we can’t tell you if Darnell succeeds in training James for prison, we can leave you with one more reason why Get Hard
is the comedy to watch this year… T.I. makes a larger-than-life cameo! Make sure to hit the theaters March 27th
and see if Darnell succeeds in his journey with James.
We are so excited to be returning to Austin for our 4th year to celebrate SXSW! From March 15 – 20, The Spotify House will be your go-to venue to unwind, discover the best new artists and take part in unique experiences.
Our 2015 line-up boasts 30+ must-see-acts including breakout talent Marian Hill, Conrad, Cam and many more. Everyday, we’ll have live performances on two stages, so come ready to rock. You can check out the full daily line-up here. We’ll also be serving up the best local Austin eats, curated by our friends at SUPPER.
To kick start each day, The Spotify House will be hosting a unique SoulCycle pop-up experience. Each morning, live DJ sets and the best fitness instructors in the world will take Spotify fans on the ride of their lives, set to a once in a lifetime musical experience. SoulCycle fans will be riding to some of the world’s best DJ’s, including Ryan Hemsworth and Hudson Mohawke throughout the week. Check out the daily schedule here to sign up for a ride.
We’ve also teamed up with Bose, Squarespace and truth to bring to life one-of-a-kind experiences for guests.
- Bose: Spotify is excited to launch Unveiled in partnership with Bose at this year’s SXSW. Unveiled provides music fans with a once in a lifetime experience of seeing their favorite artists perform their newest or soon-to-be-released album live, for the first time. Inaugural artists include James Bay, MisterWives and other special guests. Music fans visiting The Spotify House will also experience the power of Spotify through Bose® SoundTouch™ Wi-Fi® music systems.
- Squarespace: Each day at The Spotify House, Austin-based Squarespace visual artists explore the intersection between music and art, creating new pieces inspired by the music of the day.
- truth Truck is making its way to Austin to inspire people to #FinishIt. truth Tour Riders will keep visitors entertained with special guest DJs scratching from the iconic orange truck and with #LeftSwipeDat themed listening booths.
For additional information about The Spotify House, RSVP now and follow us on our dedicated SXSW Spotify handle @sxspotify to stay up to date on the latest news! And, be sure to follow us on Vine, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for more information about our SXSW plans this year.
See you at SXSW!
Father John Misty is an intense musician. Or, at least, very complicated. The project of ex-Fleet Foxes member Josh Tillman, the second LP, I Love You, Honeybear, was just released this past Tuesday. The album takes a broad, although at times unsettling close, look at love; all in Tillman’s cynical, mostly tongue-in-cheek tone.
Josh on his new album versus his debut, Fear Fun…
This album was definitely harder because I had to overcome my intense fear of being sentimental. This one is a lot more intense, a lot more vulnerable.
The album cover really articulates what the new album is. It’s an encounter with intimacy and what comes from that… what qualities manifest. Here it was a lot of jealousy and neediness. I kind of turned this woman into a sacred object instead of letting her be a human.
On “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt.”…
You have these two pretentious, misguided people. One of which is me. Obviously. It’s really important to me that this song isn’t a figurative kind of thing. No, this is about a thing that happened. What am I doing there? What did I want? Really I just wanted my narcissism and vanity fed. I wanted to be around people who didn’t demand any intimacy out of me.
On “Bored In The USA”…
If nothing else it’s a way for polite, white liberal people to point at a straw man version of the grotesque American. If you can’t see yourself in any part of that song then it’s not a good song.
On love and his wife, Emma…
Intimacy and love is not a passive, consumer experience. You have to make it for yourself.
It feels like NERVO is on top of the world. Or maybe that’s just the effect of their huge, new House anthem (aptly called “It Feels”). The Australian duo, made up of sisters Mim and Liv Nervo, just released the track for an exclusive two week pre-stream on Spotify.
We asked the endlessly busy group to sit down and respond to our pressing questions about their life, such as, “What’s it like DJing next to your sister every night for the past decade?” They were kind enough to give us some answers…
Liv: Mostly it’s nothing but positivity and having good time. Though sometimes, it can get a bit sticky. We have slight arguments about what to play next, but we pretty much love it… We usually plan the beginning and the end of every set, then in the middle we just play whatever the crowd is vibing to the most!
What differences do the two of you have, in terms of musical taste?
Liv: We both generally like and can see the beauty in most music, from a range of genres. Though Mim might bring me something from the deep house world, that I love and have never heard, or vice versa. Mim tends to lean towards the deep house world, while I like more of the tech house grooves.
Check out NERVO’s brand new single, exclusively here on Spotify:
Want to record your best moments of 2015? Now when you Shazam the tunes you love, we’ll automatically put them in a playlist for you (Spotify Premium subscribers only).
Get set up with these steps:
- Get the latest Shazam app
- Go to My Shazam and open Settings (top right)
- Select “Connect to Spotify” and follow the instructions
We’ll create a “My Shazam Tracks” playlist in your Spotify account, and all your current and future Shazams will appear there automatically.
It’s a great day for gamers and music lovers! We are super excited to announce that Spotify is coming soon to PlayStation®.
Sign up here to be the first to check out Spotify on PlayStation®.
Determined to keep those New Year resolutions? We’ve got you covered!
We teamed up with fitness pro and creator of INSANITY, Shaun T, alongside global expert on music for exercise, Dr. Costas Karageorghis, to predict the hottest fitness trends for 2015 – and the perfect soundtrack to get the most out of each and every workout.
According to Shaun T, 2015 is all about efficient workout programmes that incorporate HIIT training. “Ain’t nobody got time for hours in the gym, nor do they need to. Short, intense workouts such as INSANITY and Tabata style training will dominate.”
Check out his top 5 fitness trends for the year along with the perfect playlist to boost your workout:
INSANITY is an intense, boot camp-type workout designed to push its devotees to their mental and physical limits.
Tabata is a high-intensity, interval-based workout with 20-second periods of all-out effort punctuated by 10-second recovery periods.
The imperative for a Cardio Dance playlist is that it sticks to a strong and steady rhythmic flow.
Gymnastics Strength Training
Gymnastics strength training draws upon gymnasts’ common training methods into a workout that’s accessible to everyone.
CrossFit is a workout ‘melting pot’ that blends elements of powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics and athletics.
If you’re already flagging, you’ve now got the motivation to stick to your New Year fitness regime – listen to the complete Ultimate Workout Playlist for 2015 on Spotify here!
It’s time to reflect on another amazing year in music with our Year in Music — our annual round up of what our 50 million users have listened to this year.
Join us at spotify.com/2014 as we look back at the key musical milestones of the year and reveal the most streamed artists, tracks, albums, bands, as well as a host of interesting musical facts from 2014.
Not only will you be able to find out more about the biggest global and national music trends of 2014, but you can also create your very own personal Year in Music. We invite you to answer that age old question; “What Kind of Music Are you Into” by exploring your top genres, your favorite artist by season, most musical day of the week, and more.
What soundtracked your year? Discover the 2014 Year in Music here!
The world’s biggest industrial metal band has landed!
Today we welcome Berlin’s mighty Rammstein to Spotify with six exclusive and brilliant albums. So, to get us all in the mood, here are 15 facts you really ought to know about this outrageous rock band.
- Rammstein emerged from East Germany’s renegade D.I.Y. punk scene.
- They’re named after the German word for “battering ram” and a town infamous as the location for a 1988 air-show tragedy where 80 people were killed.
- They once proclaimed, “All we want to do is entertain. With flamethrowers.”
- During live versions of “Bück Dich” (“Bend down”) singer Till Lindemann would drop his trousers to reveal a huge dildo through which he would then spray white liquid over the front rows.
- They are as brilliantly, uniquely German as Kraftwerk, Neu! and Einstürzende Neubauten.
- Rammstein’s debut CD single, “Du Riechst So Gut” (“You smell so good”) first appeared in as a perfumed digipak.
- Tickets sold out in only thirty minutes for Rammstein’s legendary performance at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- Lindemann’s other most famous on-stage prop was his 140 pound metal coat that was covered in flammable paste and set on fire.
- World-renowned director David Lynch put two Rammstein songs in his film Lost Highway.
- They are the only German-speaking band to ever crack the US market.
- The song “Mein Teil” (“My Part”) was inspired by the case of a German cannibal who posted an ad asking for a volunteer to be killed and eaten.
- Rammstein was nominated for Best Metal Performance at the Grammy Awards in 1999 and 2006.
- The former head of their record label described them as, “theatre for the millennium generation: metallic-techno posing with bizarre sado-masochistic elements…”
- Fittingly, the band’s motto is, “Do your own thing – and overdo it!”
- Keyboardist “Flake” once said, “We like audiences to grapple with our music”, so what are you waiting for?
Start with the very best of Rammstein here.