The world’s biggest industrial metal band has landed!
Today we welcome Berlin’s mighty Rammstein to Spotify with six exclusive and brilliant albums. So, to get us all in the mood, here are 15 facts you really ought to know about this outrageous rock band.
- Rammstein emerged from East Germany’s renegade D.I.Y. punk scene.
- They’re named after the German word for “battering ram” and a town infamous as the location for a 1988 air-show tragedy where 80 people were killed.
- They once proclaimed, “All we want to do is entertain. With flamethrowers.”
- During live versions of “Bück Dich” (“Bend down”) singer Till Lindemann would drop his trousers to reveal a huge dildo through which he would then spray white liquid over the front rows.
- They are as brilliantly, uniquely German as Kraftwerk, Neu! and Einstürzende Neubauten.
- Rammstein’s debut CD single, “Du Riechst So Gut” (“You smell so good”) first appeared in as a perfumed digipak.
- Tickets sold out in only thirty minutes for Rammstein’s legendary performance at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- Lindemann’s other most famous on-stage prop was his 140 pound metal coat that was covered in flammable paste and set on fire.
- World-renowned director David Lynch put two Rammstein songs in his film Lost Highway.
- They are the only German-speaking band to ever crack the US market.
- The song “Mein Teil” (“My Part”) was inspired by the case of a German cannibal who posted an ad asking for a volunteer to be killed and eaten.
- Rammstein was nominated for Best Metal Performance at the Grammy Awards in 1999 and 2006.
- The former head of their record label described them as, “theatre for the millennium generation: metallic-techno posing with bizarre sado-masochistic elements…”
- Fittingly, the band’s motto is, “Do your own thing – and overdo it!”
- Keyboardist “Flake” once said, “We like audiences to grapple with our music”, so what are you waiting for?
Start with the very best of Rammstein here.