Today, Spotify and Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) will launch an exclusive music experience, making it easier than ever for gamers to enjoy their favourite tracks whilst playing their favourite games. That’s right, the best in music is playing co-op with the best in gaming. So whether you’re diving off Parisian rooftops, battling the evil of Crota or playing Barcelona at the Camp Nou, you’re in charge of the soundtrack.
Soundtrack your game
- With background listening on PlayStation®4 (PS4™) system, you can soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favourite tracks. You might die a few times at the hands (or claws) of memorably terrifying monsters in the critically-acclaimed action RPG Bloodborne™, so why not do it to the music of your choice? Upbeat pop, thumping hip-hop, soothing classical…with over 30 million tracks, we’ve got you covered either way.
On-demand music for everyone
- Enjoy all of your favourite tunes on-demand. Pick one of your favourites from Your Music or Browse to find the perfect playlist for every mood and moment. We’ve even got a set of new gaming playlists for you.
No need to pause
- Spotify Connect lets you skip tracks or turn up the music using your mobile device or tablet, without ever having to interrupt your gaming experience.
We know music has always been a big part of gaming and are excited to take the experience to a whole new level. With today’s launch, we’re bringing back that magic of gaming with music – all in a beautifully designed and smooth experience that looks great on your big screen. We have worked closely with PlayStation® to build an entirely new music experience which doesn’t just sound awesome, but also looks great on your TV and handles smoothly using the DualShock controller.
Spotify on PlayStation Music will roll out to PS3™ and PS4™ today and will also be available on Xperia™ smartphones and tablets.
Ready to play? Get started at www.spotify.com/playstation.
We are so excited to be returning to Austin for our 4th year to celebrate SXSW! From March 15 – 20, The Spotify House will be your go-to venue to unwind, discover the best new artists and take part in unique experiences.
Our 2015 line-up boasts 30+ must-see-acts including breakout talent Marian Hill, Conrad, Cam and many more. Everyday, we’ll have live performances on two stages, so come ready to rock. You can check out the full daily line-up here. We’ll also be serving up the best local Austin eats, curated by our friends at SUPPER.
To kick start each day, The Spotify House will be hosting a unique SoulCycle pop-up experience. Each morning, live DJ sets and the best fitness instructors in the world will take Spotify fans on the ride of their lives, set to a once in a lifetime musical experience. SoulCycle fans will be riding to some of the world’s best DJ’s, including Ryan Hemsworth and Hudson Mohawke throughout the week. Check out the daily schedule here to sign up for a ride.
We’ve also teamed up with Bose, Squarespace and truth to bring to life one-of-a-kind experiences for guests.
- Bose: Spotify is excited to launch Unveiled in partnership with Bose at this year’s SXSW. Unveiled provides music fans with a once in a lifetime experience of seeing their favorite artists perform their newest or soon-to-be-released album live, for the first time. Inaugural artists include James Bay, MisterWives and other special guests. Music fans visiting The Spotify House will also experience the power of Spotify through Bose® SoundTouch™ Wi-Fi® music systems.
- Squarespace: Each day at The Spotify House, Austin-based Squarespace visual artists explore the intersection between music and art, creating new pieces inspired by the music of the day.
- truth Truck is making its way to Austin to inspire people to #FinishIt. truth Tour Riders will keep visitors entertained with special guest DJs scratching from the iconic orange truck and with #LeftSwipeDat themed listening booths.
For additional information about The Spotify House, RSVP now and follow us on our dedicated SXSW Spotify handle @sxspotify to stay up to date on the latest news! And, be sure to follow us on Vine, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for more information about our SXSW plans this year.
See you at SXSW!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and we were curious — how do our 60 million users use playlists to prepare for the big day of love?
With nearly 700k ‘Valentine’s’ playlists, 28 million ‘love’ playlists and nearly 2.5 million ‘sex’ playlists, we uncovered that Donna Lewis’ I Love You Always Forever is the top Valentine’s Day song in the world.
Check out these Top 10 Love Songs from “Valentine’s” playlists:
When it comes to songs that speak the universal language of love, John Legend’s All of Me comes in as the globe’s top love song. Explore this playlist of the top 10 Songs from “Love” playlists:
As for setting the mood, “sex” playlists are created by 56% male vs. 44% females and Intro by The xx ranks in as the top sex song. Hit play here to discover the top 10 songs from “Sex” playlists:
Fun fact: Most Valentine’s Day playlists on Spotify were created by men – 63% in fact!
Looking for some musical inspiration this V-Day? Look no further than our “Sweet Spot” playlist generator, which will take you and your lover on a journey of discovery between your favorite musical artists. Simply choose your favorite artist and select the favorite artist of your special someone to reveal how many degrees of musical separation exist between the two of you. Sweet Spot will then generate a playlist for you to share. Find it at Spotify-Valentines.com.
One of music’s biggest nights, the 57th annual Grammy Awards, will take place this Sunday February 8th. To celebrate, we’ve looked at streams as a way to predict who will take home a GRAMMY in four of the night’s top categories: Album Of The Year, Record of The Year, Song of The Year and Best New Artist.
To predict the winners, we compiled global data on the top streamed songs, albums and artists in each of the categories. Additionally, we analyzed the listening habits of our 60 million users across the world to look at the most viral songs, albums, and artists in those categories to predict the possible “dark horses.”
Sia’s Chandelier was the most streamed song globally in the Record and Song Of The Year categories, additionally ranking most viral in the Record Of The Year category. Hozier’s Take Me To Church is the most viral song in the Song Of The Year category. For Album Of The Year, Ed Sheeran’s X was the most streamed album, with Pharrell Williams’ G I R L being the most viral. In the Best New Artist category, Ed Sheeran was the most streamed artist and Bastille was the most viral* artist.
Most Streamed Record of the Year
- Chandelier – Sia
- Stay With Me – Sam Smith
- Fancy – Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX
- All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift**
Most Streamed Album of the Year
- Ed Sheeran – X
- Sam Smith – In The Lonely Hour
- Pharrell Williams – G I R L
- Beyoncé – Beyoncé
- Beck – Morning Phase
Most Streamed Song of the Year
- Chandelier – Sia
- Stay With Me – Sam Smith
- All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor
- Take Me To Church – Hozier
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift**
Best New Artist
- Sam Smith
- Iggy Azalea
- Brandy Clark
Dark Horse Winner Predictions, Based on Virality*
Record of the Year
Sia – Chandelier
Album of the Year
Pharrell Williams – G I R L
Song of the Year
Hozier – Take Me to Church
Best New Artist
Who do you think will win? Tune in this weekend for the Award Show and listen to nominated GRAMMYs artists here!
* Viral = number of streams divided by the number of shares
It’s a great day for gamers and music lovers! We are super excited to announce that Spotify is coming soon to PlayStation®.
Sign up here to be the first to check out Spotify on PlayStation®.
Determined to keep those New Year resolutions? We’ve got you covered!
We teamed up with fitness pro and creator of INSANITY, Shaun T, alongside global expert on music for exercise, Dr. Costas Karageorghis, to predict the hottest fitness trends for 2015 – and the perfect soundtrack to get the most out of each and every workout.
According to Shaun T, 2015 is all about efficient workout programmes that incorporate HIIT training. “Ain’t nobody got time for hours in the gym, nor do they need to. Short, intense workouts such as INSANITY and Tabata style training will dominate.”
Check out his top 5 fitness trends for the year along with the perfect playlist to boost your workout:
INSANITY is an intense, boot camp-type workout designed to push its devotees to their mental and physical limits.
Tabata is a high-intensity, interval-based workout with 20-second periods of all-out effort punctuated by 10-second recovery periods.
The imperative for a Cardio Dance playlist is that it sticks to a strong and steady rhythmic flow.
Gymnastics Strength Training
Gymnastics strength training draws upon gymnasts’ common training methods into a workout that’s accessible to everyone.
CrossFit is a workout ‘melting pot’ that blends elements of powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics and athletics.
If you’re already flagging, you’ve now got the motivation to stick to your New Year fitness regime – listen to the complete Ultimate Workout Playlist for 2015 on Spotify here!
It’s time to reflect on another amazing year in music with our Year in Music — our annual round up of what our 50 million users have listened to this year.
Join us at spotify.com/2014 as we look back at the key musical milestones of the year and reveal the most streamed artists, tracks, albums, bands, as well as a host of interesting musical facts from 2014.
Not only will you be able to find out more about the biggest global and national music trends of 2014, but you can also create your very own personal Year in Music. We invite you to answer that age old question; “What Kind of Music Are you Into” by exploring your top genres, your favourite artist by season, most musical day of the week, and more.
What soundtracked your year? Discover the 2014 Year in Music here!
Spotify Landmark – our series documenting music’s greatest moments in the words of those who made them – is closing out 2014 with a bang! To celebrate the 30th anniversary of English duo Tears For Fears’ second album, “Songs From The Big Chair,” we invited the band to famed LA studio The Village to perform some of their biggest hits and tell us the stories behind them. Heck, we even invited 50 or so die-hard TFF fans to witness it all.
“Spotify Landmark: Tears For Fears’ ‘Songs From The Big Chair’” is the first Landmark to feature full-song performances in both audio and video, and it’s a great way to rediscover such hits as “Everybody Wants To Rule The World,” “Head Over Heels,” “Shout” and many more – even a surprise cover. Watch and listen to the whole thing here!
To round out the month of Rocktober, Spotify Landmark – our series documenting music’s greatest moments in the words of those who made them – sets its sights on one of rock’s defining albums, Led Zeppelin’s “IV.” We bring you the “aural history” of the album in newly recorded interviews with the legendary band’s surviving members: guitarist and producer Jimmy Page; bassist, keyboardist and multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones; and singer/lyricist Robert Plant.
Led Zeppelin recounts the story behind “IV,” and sheds light on their on-going re-issue campaign, which features each of their original studio releases re-mastered and packed full with never-before-heard companion audio.
It’s all here, only on Spotify Landmark.
We’re excited to say hello to our new friends in Canada! Starting today, from Vancouver to Montreal to St. John’s and everywhere in between, fans have immediate access to:
- An unbeatable music experience: listen to whatever music you want, whenever you want, on any device for free. Discover, organise and share. Offering amazing audio quality of up to 320kbps and with a sleek design, playing your favourite music never looked and felt this good.
- Unrivalled music access: over 20 million songs at your fingertips and updated daily, mixing global hits with one of the most extensive Canadian music catalogues available including a comprehensive Quebecois library. Check out music from your friends and favourite celebrities. Add in our unbeatable music discovery and organisation tools and Spotify has all your music needs covered.
- Play your way: Download the Spotify app and listen to any song, album or artist, on any device on our fully licensed free tier. Shuffle play on mobile or play any song on tablet or desktop. Alternatively, upgrade to Spotify Premium for $10 CAD per month and enjoy the ultimate music experience: download and listen to you music offline, fully on-demand, without ads, in highest quality audio.
Today sees Canada become the fifty-eighth member of the Spotify family. A special occasion deserves a special playlist, O Canada!