We are on a mission. With over 25 billion listening hours under the hood since our launch seven years ago, we’re obsessed with figuring out how to bring music into every part of your life, wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, whatever your mood. More than ever, you’re telling us what you want: the best music to fit your mood and moment mixed with great entertainment throughout your day. We understand that how music fits into your life is as powerful as the music itself. So today we’re rolling out a richer mobile music experience built around your day, bringing you the music you love when you need it most. Introducing:
- The Now start page. From the time you wake up until tonight’s party, the Now start page serves you the right music day and night. Need a Monday morning playlist pick-me-up? Done. The right tunes to help you focus after lunch? We’ve got you covered. And because Now learns what you like, you’ll be sure to hear the right music – selected from our in-house experts and your personal collection – whatever the occasion. Recommendations will adapt over time to fit your taste and mood.
- Spotify Running. Every week millions of you lace up and hit the road to Spotify. Music is the perfect running companion but sometimes you need even more motivation to push on. That’s why Spotify Running is all about helping you go the extra mile.We’ve combined the best music on the planet – recommendations based on your listening history, multiple-genre playlists and original running compositions written by some of the world’s foremost DJs and composers – all tuned to your tempo and seamlessly transitioned to ensure you’ll never miss a beat. Start running and Spotify will detect your tempo, matching the perfect music in time to your step – making you a harder, better, faster, stronger runner.
- And that’s not all: this Summer we’re teaming up with Nike to bring new music experiences to their audiences around the globe. And later this year, you’ll be able to access the new Spotify Running experience through the Nike+ app. We’re also integrating the RunKeeper app with Spotify Running later this year.
On top of our improved music experience, we’re also introducing an expanded world of entertainment built around you:
- More Than Music. For the first time, Spotify is adding video clips and audio shows to the music mix. We know there are times in the day you want to switch between music to catch up on the latest news, listen to your favourite podcast or simply watch something fun. And with a stellar range of entertainment to choose from there’s something for everyone. Spotify will suggest video and audio shows for you to watch and learn what you love.
- Spotify Originals. We’re also serving up an exciting slate of original content to entertain your day. Check out our Running Originals – music specifically designed for running that dynamically adapts to your running tempo. A total of six original tracks, all found within Spotify Running, are available at launch. We’re also introducing a range of exclusive content, from Dance Move of the Day produced by Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls brand, to specially curated radio shows presented by artists including Icona Pop, Jungle and Tyler the Creator.
- Spotify now comes packed with entertainment, news and clips from the likes of ABC, BBC, Comedy Central, Condé Nast Entertainment, ESPN, Fusion, Maker Studios, NBC, TED and Vice News, with much more to come (see Notes to Editors for full entertainment roster).
We’re so excited to bring you a deeper, richer, more immersive Spotify experience. We want Spotify to help soundtrack your life by offering an even wider world of entertainment with an awesome mix of the best music, podcasts and video delivered to you throughout your day. And we’re just getting started. The new Now experience will begin rolling out today to iPhone users in the US, UK, Germany and Sweden – with more markets and platforms to follow in the near future. Spotify Running will start rolling out to iPhone users globally today. That’s entertainment.
Today marks the release of a Spotify Session of massive proportions, D’Angelo and The Vanguard, live from Spotify NYC.
Recorded a few weeks back, the Session features unique versions of tracks from “Black Messiah” as well as a cover of Prince’s b-side “She’s Always In My Hair.” The full Vanguard live experience included bassist extraordinaire Pino Palladino as well as a three-piece string section, back-up singers and horns. As D’Angelo gears up for tours and festivals this summer, these tracks are the only officially-released, live versions of songs from “Black Messiah.” Listen here and enjoy!
Today, Spotify and Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) will launch an exclusive music experience, making it easier than ever for gamers to enjoy their favourite tracks whilst playing their favourite games. That’s right, the best in music is playing co-op with the best in gaming. So whether you’re diving off Parisian rooftops, battling the evil of Crota or playing Barcelona at the Camp Nou, you’re in charge of the soundtrack.
Soundtrack your game
- With background listening on PlayStation®4 (PS4™) system, you can soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favourite tracks. You might die a few times at the hands (or claws) of memorably terrifying monsters in the critically-acclaimed action RPG Bloodborne™, so why not do it to the music of your choice? Upbeat pop, thumping hip-hop, soothing classical…with over 30 million tracks, we’ve got you covered either way.
On-demand music for everyone
- Enjoy all of your favourite tunes on-demand. Pick one of your favourites from Your Music or Browse to find the perfect playlist for every mood and moment. We’ve even got a set of new gaming playlists for you.
No need to pause
- Spotify Connect lets you skip tracks or turn up the music using your mobile device or tablet, without ever having to interrupt your gaming experience.
We know music has always been a big part of gaming and are excited to take the experience to a whole new level. With today’s launch, we’re bringing back that magic of gaming with music – all in a beautifully designed and smooth experience that looks great on your big screen. We have worked closely with PlayStation® to build an entirely new music experience which doesn’t just sound awesome, but also looks great on your TV and handles smoothly using the DualShock controller.
Spotify on PlayStation Music will roll out to PS3™ and PS4™ today and will also be available on Xperia™ smartphones and tablets.
Ready to play? Get started at www.spotify.com/playstation.
We are so excited to be returning to Austin for our 4th year to celebrate SXSW! From March 15 – 20, The Spotify House will be your go-to venue to unwind, discover the best new artists and take part in unique experiences.
Our 2015 line-up boasts 30+ must-see-acts including breakout talent Marian Hill, Conrad, Cam and many more. Everyday, we’ll have live performances on two stages, so come ready to rock. You can check out the full daily line-up here. We’ll also be serving up the best local Austin eats, curated by our friends at SUPPER.
To kick start each day, The Spotify House will be hosting a unique SoulCycle pop-up experience. Each morning, live DJ sets and the best fitness instructors in the world will take Spotify fans on the ride of their lives, set to a once in a lifetime musical experience. SoulCycle fans will be riding to some of the world’s best DJ’s, including Ryan Hemsworth and Hudson Mohawke throughout the week. Check out the daily schedule here to sign up for a ride.
We’ve also teamed up with Bose, Squarespace and truth to bring to life one-of-a-kind experiences for guests.
- Bose: Spotify is excited to launch Unveiled in partnership with Bose at this year’s SXSW. Unveiled provides music fans with a once in a lifetime experience of seeing their favorite artists perform their newest or soon-to-be-released album live, for the first time. Inaugural artists include James Bay, MisterWives and other special guests. Music fans visiting The Spotify House will also experience the power of Spotify through Bose® SoundTouch™ Wi-Fi® music systems.
- Squarespace: Each day at The Spotify House, Austin-based Squarespace visual artists explore the intersection between music and art, creating new pieces inspired by the music of the day.
- truth Truck is making its way to Austin to inspire people to #FinishIt. truth Tour Riders will keep visitors entertained with special guest DJs scratching from the iconic orange truck and with #LeftSwipeDat themed listening booths.
For additional information about The Spotify House, RSVP now and follow us on our dedicated SXSW Spotify handle @sxspotify to stay up to date on the latest news! And, be sure to follow us on Vine, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for more information about our SXSW plans this year.
See you at SXSW!
Father John Misty is an intense musician. Or, at least, very complicated. The project of ex-Fleet Foxes member Josh Tillman, the second LP, I Love You, Honeybear, was just released this past Tuesday. The album takes a broad, although at times unsettling close, look at love; all in Tillman’s cynical, mostly tongue-in-cheek tone.
Josh on his new album versus his debut, Fear Fun…
This album was definitely harder because I had to overcome my intense fear of being sentimental. This one is a lot more intense, a lot more vulnerable.
The album cover really articulates what the new album is. It’s an encounter with intimacy and what comes from that… what qualities manifest. Here it was a lot of jealousy and neediness. I kind of turned this woman into a sacred object instead of letting her be a human.
On “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt.”…
You have these two pretentious, misguided people. One of which is me. Obviously. It’s really important to me that this song isn’t a figurative kind of thing. No, this is about a thing that happened. What am I doing there? What did I want? Really I just wanted my narcissism and vanity fed. I wanted to be around people who didn’t demand any intimacy out of me.
On “Bored In The USA”…
If nothing else it’s a way for polite, white liberal people to point at a straw man version of the grotesque American. If you can’t see yourself in any part of that song then it’s not a good song.
On love and his wife, Emma…
Intimacy and love is not a passive, consumer experience. You have to make it for yourself.
It feels like NERVO is on top of the world. Or maybe that’s just the effect of their huge, new House anthem (aptly called “It Feels”). The Australian duo, made up of sisters Mim and Liv Nervo, just released the track for an exclusive two week pre-stream on Spotify.
We asked the endlessly busy group to sit down and respond to our pressing questions about their life, such as, “What’s it like DJing next to your sister every night for the past decade?” They were kind enough to give us some answers…
Liv: Mostly it’s nothing but positivity and having good time. Though sometimes, it can get a bit sticky. We have slight arguments about what to play next, but we pretty much love it… We usually plan the beginning and the end of every set, then in the middle we just play whatever the crowd is vibing to the most!
What differences do the two of you have, in terms of musical taste?
Liv: We both generally like and can see the beauty in most music, from a range of genres. Though Mim might bring me something from the deep house world, that I love and have never heard, or vice versa. Mim tends to lean towards the deep house world, while I like more of the tech house grooves.
Check out NERVO’s brand new single, exclusively here on Spotify:
Want to record your best moments of 2015? Now when you Shazam the tunes you love, we’ll automatically put them in a playlist for you (Spotify Premium subscribers only).
Get set up with these steps:
- Get the latest Shazam app
- Go to My Shazam and open Settings (top right)
- Select “Connect to Spotify” and follow the instructions
We’ll create a “My Shazam Tracks” playlist in your Spotify account, and all your current and future Shazams will appear there automatically.
It’s a great day for gamers and music lovers! We are super excited to announce that Spotify is coming soon to PlayStation®.
Sign up here to be the first to check out Spotify on PlayStation®.
Determined to keep those New Year resolutions? We’ve got you covered!
We teamed up with fitness pro and creator of INSANITY, Shaun T, alongside global expert on music for exercise, Dr. Costas Karageorghis, to predict the hottest fitness trends for 2015 – and the perfect soundtrack to get the most out of each and every workout.
According to Shaun T, 2015 is all about efficient workout programmes that incorporate HIIT training. “Ain’t nobody got time for hours in the gym, nor do they need to. Short, intense workouts such as INSANITY and Tabata style training will dominate.”
Check out his top 5 fitness trends for the year along with the perfect playlist to boost your workout:
INSANITY is an intense, boot camp-type workout designed to push its devotees to their mental and physical limits.
Tabata is a high-intensity, interval-based workout with 20-second periods of all-out effort punctuated by 10-second recovery periods.
The imperative for a Cardio Dance playlist is that it sticks to a strong and steady rhythmic flow.
Gymnastics Strength Training
Gymnastics strength training draws upon gymnasts’ common training methods into a workout that’s accessible to everyone.
CrossFit is a workout ‘melting pot’ that blends elements of powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics and athletics.
If you’re already flagging, you’ve now got the motivation to stick to your New Year fitness regime – listen to the complete Ultimate Workout Playlist for 2015 on Spotify here!
It’s time to reflect on another amazing year in music with our Year in Music — our annual round up of what our 50 million users have listened to this year.
Join us at spotify.com/2014 as we look back at the key musical milestones of the year and reveal the most streamed artists, tracks, albums, bands, as well as a host of interesting musical facts from 2014.
Not only will you be able to find out more about the biggest global and national music trends of 2014, but you can also create your very own personal Year in Music. We invite you to answer that age old question; “What Kind of Music Are you Into” by exploring your top genres, your favourite artist by season, most musical day of the week, and more.
What soundtracked your year? Discover the 2014 Year in Music here!