Songwriters are the guiding force behind the music industry. These artists are the voices behind some of our favorites hits and to celebrate the songwriting community and their accomplishments, Spotify is launching Secret Genius, a global initiative that will highlight the contribution songwriters and producers make to the music industry and artists’ careers.
Throughout the year, Secret Genius will launch multiple programs that further strengthen Spotify’s commitment to supporting the creative community including an ambassador program, Songshops, which are global songwriting workshops, The Secret Genius Awards, podcasts and curated playlists.
“Songwriters and producers are the backbone of the industry and we want to help celebrate these incredibly talented people,” said Troy Carter, Spotify’s Global Head of Creator Services. “The goal of Secret Genius is to give credit where credit is due by shining a light on these amazing creators.”
“Spotify cracked the magical code of how to make music consumption really work in the digital age,” said Justin Tranter, songwriter. “So I’m honored to be a part of them taking that one step further with their Secret Genius ambassador program. Working with some of the most talented artists, producers and fellow writers in the world has allowed me to make music the whole world has heard, and I’m excited to share that even more.”
“I’ve been a huge fan of Spotify since I was introduced to it in 2009,” said Ricky Reed, songwriter. “The Spotify ambassadorship program has been amazing because it shines a spotlight on what we do behind the scenes, before songs make it to the platform and it allows me to partner with brilliant minds that are already close friends like on top of meeting new people and making new music that would otherwise not happen!”
Secret Genius Programs
The Secret Genius Awards:
We will host an annual award show this Fall honoring the best songwriters, producers and publishers in the industry. The event will consist of nomination categories, presenters and performers.
Ambassador Program and Songshops:
13 songwriters from around the world will host a Songshop where they invite their peers to collaborate to create a hit song. Below are the songwriters participating this year:
- Alex Hope (Australia) – Troye Sivan, Broods, Wrabel
- Boi1da (Canada) – Rihanna, Drake, Bryson Tiller
- Claudia Brant (Latin America)- Natalia Jimenez, Ricky Martin, J. Lo
- Erika Ender (Latin America) – Luis Fonsi, Justin Bieber
- James Fauntleroy (US)- Frank Ocean, Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake
- J Kash (U.S.) – Maroon 5, Jason Derulo, Charlie Puth
- Justin Tranter (U.S.) – DNCE, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber
- Lori McKenna (U.S.) – Little Big Town, Tim McGraw, Hunter Hayes
- Noonie Bao (Sweden) – Zedd, Alessia Cara, Charli XCX
- Ricky Reed (U.S.) – Twenty One Pilots, Halsey, Meghan Trainor
- Savan Kotecha (U.S.) – The Weeknd, Ariana Grande, One Direction
- Starrah (U.S.) – Drake, Rihanna, Halsey, Nicki Minaj
- Wayne Hector (U.K.) – Nicki Minaj, Little Mix, One Direction
Secret Genius Playlist:
Each playlist is curated to include some of the biggest hits from one songwriters body of work.
Secret Genius Podcasts:
In-depth and informed interviews from the world’s best songwriters dive into the stories behind the hits we all know and love. The stores will highlight their creative process and their life in the industry.