- Spotify Now Compatible with New Ford SYNC 3 Communications and Entertainment System
What’s a drive without Music? Yes, you’ll still get where you’re going, but will you truly enjoy the ride — we think not.
To give drivers a more complete music experience in the car, Spotify has extended its partnership with Ford, to enable Spotify users (Free and Premium) with SYNC 3-equipped cars to control Spotify from the driver’s seat with several new enhanced features for iOS and Android.
Spotify, one of the first apps to integrate with AppLink, is the only on-demand music service available on the all-new SYNC 3 communications and entertainment system, first launching on 2016 models of the Ford Escape and Fiesta this summer, and expanding to all Ford vehicles by the end of next year. This makes it easier than ever for Ford drivers to access Spotify and hit the road with a brand new interface designed for the car.
In addition to all the great Spotify AppLink integration found in Ford cars since 2013, this latest and greatest version, SYNC 3, for 2016 Ford Escape and Fiestas this summer, includes the following new features for iOS and Android users:
- SYNC 3 includes a rich color touchscreen display for large cover art, plus Browse, Your music, Search, your playlists and all the other music and podcasts from your Spotify apps.
- Drivers can now speak to choose playlists synced across any device, toggle shuffle on and off, save tracks to their music collection, and more, all hands-free.
- Faster, more responsive, and easier to use via voice and dashboard controls.
For more information, click here.
Just over a month ago we launched our exclusive music experience on PlayStation, making it easier than ever to soundtrack your gaming sessions with music. And today we’re thrilled to let you know that the partnership has already resulted in more than 5 million downloads since launch – making it the quickest launch adoption rate in PlayStation history.
But when it comes to big numbers, that’s not all. Since launch in March, you’ve streamed over 785 million tracks on your PlayStation 4 consoles. That’s more than 42 million hours of listening to your favourite tunes whilst playing your favourite games.
We’re also excited to let you know that PlayStation Music will be arriving in Costa Rica, Panama and Ecuador this summer – and rolling out to even more markets before the end of 2015.
Ever wonder what you’d be jammin’ out to if you were born during a different decade? Now you can find out!
Go back in time with our Taste Rewind and explore the tunes you would have had on repeat throughout the 00s, 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s based on your musical taste. A throwback playlist for each decade will help you discover the sound of a different era, or re-live some questionable hairstyles :)
Fancy some musical time travel? Give it a spin here!
What a difference a year makes! At the end of May 2014, we reached 10 million paying subscribers and 40 million active users. Today, we have reached more than 20 million subscribers and more than 75 million active users. 10 million subscribers in our first five and a half years – and another 10 million subscribers in just a single year! That’s an average of one new subscriber every three seconds over the last year. Wow. And, more people listening on Spotify means more payouts to the creators of the music you love. As we grow, the amount of royalties we pay out to artists, songwriters and rights holders continues to climb faster than ever. We have now paid more than $3 billion USD in royalties, including more than $300 million in the first three months of 2015 alone. That’s good for music, good for music fans … and good for music makers. Take a look at what it means for four different types of artists. The blue columns show average actual payouts over the last 12 months, which started with 10 million subscribers; the green columns show our projected average payouts over the next 12 months, starting from our new baseline of 20 million paying subscribers.
Here’s how we did it.
We could have never achieved this growth without all of you: the music fans who listen, discover, share and celebrate music and artists every day. Thank you, 20 million X. 20 Million Reasons To Say Thanks
We are on a mission. With over 25 billion listening hours under the hood since our launch seven years ago, we’re obsessed with figuring out how to bring music into every part of your life, wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, whatever your mood. More than ever, you’re telling us what you want: the best music to fit your mood and moment mixed with great entertainment throughout your day. We understand that how music fits into your life is as powerful as the music itself. So today we’re rolling out a richer mobile music experience built around your day, bringing you the music you love when you need it most. Introducing:
- The Now start page. From the time you wake up until tonight’s party, the Now start page serves you the right music day and night. Need a Monday morning playlist pick-me-up? Done. The right tunes to help you focus after lunch? We’ve got you covered. And because Now learns what you like, you’ll be sure to hear the right music – selected from our in-house experts and your personal collection – whatever the occasion. Recommendations will adapt over time to fit your taste and mood.
- Spotify Running. Every week millions of you lace up and hit the road to Spotify. Music is the perfect running companion but sometimes you need even more motivation to push on. That’s why Spotify Running is all about helping you go the extra mile.We’ve combined the best music on the planet – recommendations based on your listening history, multiple-genre playlists and original running compositions written by some of the world’s foremost DJs and composers – all tuned to your tempo and seamlessly transitioned to ensure you’ll never miss a beat. Start running and Spotify will detect your tempo, matching the perfect music in time to your step – making you a harder, better, faster, stronger runner.
- And that’s not all: this Summer we’re teaming up with Nike to bring new music experiences to their audiences around the globe. And later this year, you’ll be able to access the new Spotify Running experience through the Nike+ app. We’re also integrating the RunKeeper app with Spotify Running later this year.
On top of our improved music experience, we’re also introducing an expanded world of entertainment built around you:
- More Than Music. For the first time, Spotify is adding video clips and audio shows to the music mix. We know there are times in the day you want to switch between music to catch up on the latest news, listen to your favourite podcast or simply watch something fun. And with a stellar range of entertainment to choose from there’s something for everyone. Spotify will suggest video and audio shows for you to watch and learn what you love.
- Spotify Originals. We’re also serving up an exciting slate of original content to entertain your day. Check out our Running Originals – music specifically designed for running that dynamically adapts to your running tempo. A total of six original tracks, all found within Spotify Running, are available at launch. We’re also introducing a range of exclusive content, from Dance Move of the Day produced by Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls brand, to specially curated radio shows presented by artists including Icona Pop, Jungle and Tyler the Creator.
- Spotify now comes packed with entertainment, news and clips from the likes of ABC, BBC, Comedy Central, Condé Nast Entertainment, ESPN, Fusion, Maker Studios, NBC, TED and Vice News, with much more to come (see Notes to Editors for full entertainment roster).
We’re so excited to bring you a deeper, richer, more immersive Spotify experience. We want Spotify to help soundtrack your life by offering an even wider world of entertainment with an awesome mix of the best music, podcasts and video delivered to you throughout your day. And we’re just getting started. The new Now experience will begin rolling out today to iPhone users in the US, UK, Germany and Sweden – with more markets and platforms to follow in the near future. Spotify Running will start rolling out to iPhone users globally today. That’s entertainment.
Today marks the release of a Spotify Session of massive proportions, D’Angelo and The Vanguard, live from Spotify NYC.
Recorded a few weeks back, the Session features unique versions of tracks from “Black Messiah” as well as a cover of Prince’s b-side “She’s Always In My Hair.” The full Vanguard live experience included bassist extraordinaire Pino Palladino as well as a three-piece string section, back-up singers and horns. As D’Angelo gears up for tours and festivals this summer, these tracks are the only officially-released, live versions of songs from “Black Messiah.” Listen here and enjoy!
Today, Spotify and Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) will launch an exclusive music experience, making it easier than ever for gamers to enjoy their favourite tracks whilst playing their favourite games. That’s right, the best in music is playing co-op with the best in gaming. So whether you’re diving off Parisian rooftops, battling the evil of Crota or playing Barcelona at the Camp Nou, you’re in charge of the soundtrack.
Soundtrack your game
- With background listening on PlayStation®4 (PS4™) system, you can soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favourite tracks. You might die a few times at the hands (or claws) of memorably terrifying monsters in the critically-acclaimed action RPG Bloodborne™, so why not do it to the music of your choice? Upbeat pop, thumping hip-hop, soothing classical…with over 30 million tracks, we’ve got you covered either way.
On-demand music for everyone
- Enjoy all of your favourite tunes on-demand. Pick one of your favourites from Your Music or Browse to find the perfect playlist for every mood and moment. We’ve even got a set of new gaming playlists for you.
No need to pause
- Spotify Connect lets you skip tracks or turn up the music using your mobile device or tablet, without ever having to interrupt your gaming experience.
We know music has always been a big part of gaming and are excited to take the experience to a whole new level. With today’s launch, we’re bringing back that magic of gaming with music – all in a beautifully designed and smooth experience that looks great on your big screen. We have worked closely with PlayStation® to build an entirely new music experience which doesn’t just sound awesome, but also looks great on your TV and handles smoothly using the DualShock controller.
Spotify on PlayStation Music will roll out to PS3™ and PS4™ today and will also be available on Xperia™ smartphones and tablets.
Ready to play? Get started at www.spotify.com/playstation.
We are so excited to be returning to Austin for our 4th year to celebrate SXSW! From March 15 – 20, The Spotify House will be your go-to venue to unwind, discover the best new artists and take part in unique experiences.
Our 2015 line-up boasts 30+ must-see-acts including breakout talent Marian Hill, Conrad, Cam and many more. Everyday, we’ll have live performances on two stages, so come ready to rock. You can check out the full daily line-up here. We’ll also be serving up the best local Austin eats, curated by our friends at SUPPER.
To kick start each day, The Spotify House will be hosting a unique SoulCycle pop-up experience. Each morning, live DJ sets and the best fitness instructors in the world will take Spotify fans on the ride of their lives, set to a once in a lifetime musical experience. SoulCycle fans will be riding to some of the world’s best DJ’s, including Ryan Hemsworth and Hudson Mohawke throughout the week. Check out the daily schedule here to sign up for a ride.
We’ve also teamed up with Bose, Squarespace and truth to bring to life one-of-a-kind experiences for guests.
- Bose: Spotify is excited to launch Unveiled in partnership with Bose at this year’s SXSW. Unveiled provides music fans with a once in a lifetime experience of seeing their favorite artists perform their newest or soon-to-be-released album live, for the first time. Inaugural artists include James Bay, MisterWives and other special guests. Music fans visiting The Spotify House will also experience the power of Spotify through Bose® SoundTouch™ Wi-Fi® music systems.
- Squarespace: Each day at The Spotify House, Austin-based Squarespace visual artists explore the intersection between music and art, creating new pieces inspired by the music of the day.
- truth Truck is making its way to Austin to inspire people to #FinishIt. truth Tour Riders will keep visitors entertained with special guest DJs scratching from the iconic orange truck and with #LeftSwipeDat themed listening booths.
For additional information about The Spotify House, RSVP now and follow us on our dedicated SXSW Spotify handle @sxspotify to stay up to date on the latest news! And, be sure to follow us on Vine, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for more information about our SXSW plans this year.
See you at SXSW!
Father John Misty is an intense musician. Or, at least, very complicated. The project of ex-Fleet Foxes member Josh Tillman, the second LP, I Love You, Honeybear, was just released this past Tuesday. The album takes a broad, although at times unsettling close, look at love; all in Tillman’s cynical, mostly tongue-in-cheek tone.
Josh on his new album versus his debut, Fear Fun…
This album was definitely harder because I had to overcome my intense fear of being sentimental. This one is a lot more intense, a lot more vulnerable.
The album cover really articulates what the new album is. It’s an encounter with intimacy and what comes from that… what qualities manifest. Here it was a lot of jealousy and neediness. I kind of turned this woman into a sacred object instead of letting her be a human.
On “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt.”…
You have these two pretentious, misguided people. One of which is me. Obviously. It’s really important to me that this song isn’t a figurative kind of thing. No, this is about a thing that happened. What am I doing there? What did I want? Really I just wanted my narcissism and vanity fed. I wanted to be around people who didn’t demand any intimacy out of me.
On “Bored In The USA”…
If nothing else it’s a way for polite, white liberal people to point at a straw man version of the grotesque American. If you can’t see yourself in any part of that song then it’s not a good song.
On love and his wife, Emma…
Intimacy and love is not a passive, consumer experience. You have to make it for yourself.
It feels like NERVO is on top of the world. Or maybe that’s just the effect of their huge, new House anthem (aptly called “It Feels”). The Australian duo, made up of sisters Mim and Liv Nervo, just released the track for an exclusive two week pre-stream on Spotify.
We asked the endlessly busy group to sit down and respond to our pressing questions about their life, such as, “What’s it like DJing next to your sister every night for the past decade?” They were kind enough to give us some answers…
Liv: Mostly it’s nothing but positivity and having good time. Though sometimes, it can get a bit sticky. We have slight arguments about what to play next, but we pretty much love it… We usually plan the beginning and the end of every set, then in the middle we just play whatever the crowd is vibing to the most!
What differences do the two of you have, in terms of musical taste?
Liv: We both generally like and can see the beauty in most music, from a range of genres. Though Mim might bring me something from the deep house world, that I love and have never heard, or vice versa. Mim tends to lean towards the deep house world, while I like more of the tech house grooves.
Check out NERVO’s brand new single, exclusively here on Spotify: